Here is a simple workaround how to disable easy install in VMware Workstation Pro in a few simple steps. Why?
I recently installed Windows 10 on VMware, and I got annoyed that VMware’s easy install mode for Windows virtual machines does not allow me to add an online Microsoft account during the installation process. Plus, I prefer to configure things manually.
The workaround to disable easy install in VMware Workstation Pro is simple, and it takes literally a few seconds once you know what to do.
In summary, create a new virtual machine, choose to install the operating system later option, and configure the virtual machine specs as you’d typically do. Once done, edit virtual machine settings, add your iso under media, save the setting and start the virtual machine to avoid the easy install.
In this guide, I am using the VMware Workstation Pro 16 but the same procedure should work on older [or newer] versions.
If that sounds confusing, here is the above procedure in pictures for your convenience:
- Create a New Virtual Machine. Select Typical (recommended) and click Next.
- Select I will install the operating system later and click Next.
- Choose your Guest Operating System. In this case, I will choose Microsoft Windows and for version Windows 10 and later x64 than click Next.
- Choose a name and location for your virtual machine. Once done, click Next.
7. Set the disk size for your virtual machine and the way you want your VM to be stored (single or multiple files). Select Next once done.
8. Customize your virtual machine specifications (CPU, memory, network settings, etc.), and click Finish than Close.
9. Select the virtual machine you just created and click on Edit virtual machine settings option.
10. In the Hardware tab, click on CD/DVD (SATA), select Use ISO image, and Browse for the .iso location. Once done, click Save to close the wizard.
11. Finally, click Start up the guest operating system and proceed with the Windows installation as you’d typically do on a bare-metal machine.
That’s it. This is the simple workaround to disable easy install in VMware. If you are looking for similar tutorials, check the Troubleshooting section of this website.
I hope you found this short guide helpful. If so, please share this guide around – it may seem trivial to you, but it makes a world of difference for us.
Thanks and stay safe!